Friday, March 31, 2017

Homemade Mac Cheese


A few years ago, one of my friends gave me a recipe for Homemade Mac & Cheese and it has become a staple in our house. Over the years, I have tweaked the recipe a little bit, so here is my version!
 This is what you need:
1lb box of pasta (I usually use macaroni, shells or cavatappi (curly pasta, shown)
1 container of Alfredo found in the refrigerated section (I use the light version)
1 can diced tomatoes (I use the Basil & Oregeno can)
2-3 cups of cheddar cheese (depending on how cheese-y you want it)
1 cup bread crumbs (I use Italian seasoned bread crumbs)
1 T olive oil
****************
Boil your noodles according to package directions, but for 1 minute less than it says.
Drain your noodles, but reserve 1 cup of the boiling hot water.
In your pot, combine cooked noodles, alfredo sauce & tomatoes (don't drain the tomatoes). Stir.
Side Note: If you don't like diced tomatoes, you can omit them!

Then add the 1 cup of hot water & cheese (I usually reserve a little cheese to sprinkle on top). Stir.
Spray your cooking dish with Pam & then pour all the ingredients into your dish.
(I always use my Corning Ware dish, but a 9x13 pan would work just fine)
Sprinkle some of your extra cheese on top.
Take your 1 cup of bread crumbs & olive oil & mix together in a separate bowl.
Take your bread crumb mixture & sprinkle over the top.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes (until cheese is bubbly)
You can bake it covered or un-covered, it just depends on if you want your crumb topping a little crispy or not!
Yum. Yum. Yum.
This meal is a perfect Fall/Winter meal & would go great with a nice green Casaer salad and/or some french bread. And, I pair it with a glass of red wine!

This is a Larson Family favorite, it is SO easy to make and both my girls will actually eat it!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment